Welcome and Mabuhay

If you love Marinduque and want to contribute articles to this site, please do so. My contact information is in my profile. The above photo was taken from the balcony of The Chateau Du Mer Beach House, Boac, Marindque, Philippines. I love sunsets. How about you? Some of the photos and videos on this site, I do not own. However, I have no intention on infringing your copyrights. Thank you and Cheers!

Tres Reyes Island view of the Marinduque Mainland

Saturday, May 5, 2012

Carenna has the Katague Genes for Art

Carenna's "Queen Cat"-award winning work of art

I have always admired and was amazed by my late father, Dr David Jamili Katague, talent in free hand drawing and sketching. When I was growing up, my father would draw free hand on any subject and would show it to me. His sketches were beautiful, but he was never serious of being a professional artist or have his works exhibited for public viewing. Freehand drawing was his hobby and he was very proud to show it to me his oldest son. He was hoping I will inherit his genes for art. I tried drawing at high school, but I realized I have no talent in art and completely forgot the subject until 30 years later when my youngest daughter, Ditas, graduated with honors at UC Berkeley with a double major in Arts and Communication. Ditas sculptures and paintings have been exhibited during her college years both in and out of the UC Berkeley campus. One of her sculptures won an award and was on display at the university campus for almost a year. Later on she branched into photography. She has sold a few of her works( paintings and photographs) in a public gallery here in Sacramento. But this was just her avocation and not a primary source of her income.

The subject of art has never been a popular activity in the Katague family, until my grand daughter Carenna, daughter of Ditas won a second place award for her drawing submitted to the California Exposition and State Fair Youth Art Competition two years ago. Carenna was only 7 years old then. The following is a photograph of the award ceremony.
Carenna Receiving her Second Place Ribbon-July 17, 2010

Carenna "Queen Cat" drawing above won second place at the California Exposition and State Fair Youth Art Competition. She also received honorable mention for her Candyland drawing.

One day while baby sitting for Carenna, she asked me to give her a piece of paper and a pen. Below is one of her free hand sketch that she autographed and gave it to me as a present for babysitting for her. Carenna will be 9 years old next week. She also loves to sing and dance,besides drawing.
Carenna Animal Sketches,11-11-11
I am very proud of my granddaughter accomplishments in art. "Like Mother, Like Daughter" as the saying goes. Indeed, the artistic genes of my father had been transferred to his granddaughter and great granddaughter bypassing me( the first generation) in accordance with the law of genetics.
Gimlet the cat, is Carenna's inspiration in her Queen's Cat Drawing, I believe!

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...