Welcome and Mabuhay

If you love Marinduque and want to contribute articles to this site, please do so. My contact information is in my profile. The above photo was taken from the balcony of The Chateau Du Mer Beach House, Boac, Marindque, Philippines. I love sunsets. How about you? Some of the photos and videos on this site, I do not own. However, I have no intention on infringing your copyrights. Thank you and Cheers!

Tres Reyes Island view of the Marinduque Mainland

Monday, August 8, 2022

Are Good Singers Born or Made?

Macrine (RIP) and I are in this Choir of 250 Voices, 1954, UP Theatre, Diliman, QC, Philippines

The University of the Philippines Student Catholic Action (UPSCA) Choir, with Fr Delaney, President of UP Vidal Tan and Prof. Molina, 1954

In my last blog I discussed the genetic components of musical talent and artistic abilities. Today, I will answer the question "Is being a good singer Genetic"?

"Musicians are often described as talented or gifted, but is the ability to sing a talent or a gift? Are we born being able to sing or can we learn to sing? Singing is a very complex ability and its origin may not be as simple as a matter of nature vs nurture. 

Genetics undeniably play a role in singing. Your physiology affects the timbre of your voice and some singers are born with vocal apparatus that naturally makes their voice sound goodBut there are many factors aside from genetics that create a good singer

The ability to sing isn’t necessarily something you’re born with. You can be born with the right genetics and physiological features that put you at a better vocal disposition to become a singer, but that doesn’t mean singing is innate. You have to learn how to use this vocal apparatus to be able to sing. 

Singing is partly innate, and partly a learnt skill. You can be born with vocal tracts that are physiologically sized and shaped to give your voice a more pleasing sound, naturally leading the way to becoming a singer. But controlling and configuring your vocal muscles in order to sing well is a learnt skill.  

Singing can come more naturally to some, but having a good voice isn’t something that’s determined from the moment you’re born. Singing is something that can be learnt, taught, and developed". 

Here's the article on both Macrine's(RIP) and my own singing activities in our younger years.

Macrine and I loved singing in the choir here in Northern California. In the late 1980's, we sang in our church choir on Sunday masses in Pinole, as well as with the UP Alumni, Berkeley Chapter Choir based in El Sobrante, California.

Nine years ago, we sang in our Church Choir here in Fair Oaks. We even sang a duet of Silent Night in Tagalog at the concert before the Christmas midnight mass. I am terrified to sing solo for the public to hear.

Macrine and I had also organized the Marinduque Association of the Capital Area( MACA) Christmas Caroling Group in Colesville, Maryland in the late 1990's.

Macrine used to be a soloist. She sang soprano coloratura in her younger days. Today her voice is ruined by her cigarette smoking. Her last singing activity was being paid to sing for a friend's wedding in the Philippines as well as here in US.

Singing solo and duet with Macrine at our residence in Silvercrest Street in Pinole, Ca. The bottom photo is view of our backyard and deck with the setting sun in the background hanging over the Pinole hills, 1989 

 

Personal Note: There was an incident in my singing activities that I will never forget. For some reason or another, my solo voice( Church choir) was heard for a few minutes during mass at communion time when we were still residing in Pinole, CA. The whole congregation was surprise to hear a new soloist that they have never heard before. I was frozen with anxiety that my voice was horrible, but judging from comments I heard later, my solo voice was not that bad. That was my first and last solo performance for the public in my whole life. I later learned that the microphone of the other singers were off and mine was the only one working. This is a true story.  Hearing my amplified voice in the church did not sound too bad. It was terrifying but at the same time exciting to hear your own amplified voice heard by the whole congregation of more than 300 people. I am not a bad singer after all! But I am still a frustrated singer and will never sing solo again in public except in my bathroom.     

https://marinduquemyislandparadise.blogspot.com/2019/10/choral-singing-reminds-us-of-our.html

https://www.openmicuk.co.uk/advice/can-you-learn-to-sing/

Meanwhile enjoy this photo from my collection.

Amoingon Sunset, Chateau Du Mer, MRQ, PI (Photo Credit-Ella Lazarte)
 

 

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...